Friday, December 28, 2012

Tabbouleh Time!

Vegetarian dishes from the Middle East are so flavorful and refreshing.  I love tasting a dish that is so healthy,  you can feel the goodness with every bite.  Tabbouleh is one of my favorites because of the unique marriage of flavors that occurs.  Each bite is an adventure in flavor!

Allergen Buster:  If you're feeding anyone with a gluten intolerance, substitute the bulgur with quinoa.  I promise it will turn out just as amazing!

Come to think of it, I could have used a healthy protein punch that only quinoa can offer... perhaps I should conjure up some kind of quinoa salad later... hrmmmmmm... I don't know why that thought made me burst into maniacal laughter.  Let's just roll with it...For now I bring you the magic of TABBOULEH!!!!!


Recipe inspired by the directions on the back of Bob's Red Mill Bulgur.

1 1/2 cups Bulgur
1 1/2 cups Water
1/4 cup Mint
1/4 cup Dill
2 cups Parsley
2 Green Onions
1/2 medium Red Onion
2 medium Tomatoes, seeded
1/2 Lemon
1T fresh ground Black Pepper
1T Sea Salt
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar

Boil 1.5 cups water, pour on 1.5 cups bulgur.  Let sit for 1 hour.

Pulse all of the veg/herbs in food processor until properly chopped up (or, if you're not as lazy as I am, use a good old fashioned knife).  Squeeze the lemon juice all over the mixture, add salt/pepper, red wine vinegar, and olive oil.  Stir, cover, refrigerate.  Let it hang out until the bulgur is done chillin'.  This will give all of the wonderful flavors time to intermingle.  Mix in the bulgur, refrigerate for another 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment