Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Merry Motivation!

Last week I made the conscious decision to commit to making three simple things part of my daily life:  Veganism, Activity, and Learning.  I am a firm believer that those who succeed, PLAN!  So, although I'm not jumping headfirst into these daily endeavors, I have been more attentive to what I need to be successful.  For example:  We are slowly working all non-vegan foods out of the house and replacing them with plant based goodness.  Basically, I'm working under the premise of "once this crap is out of my fridge, I'm not buying any more."  I'm hoping the gradual transition to veganism will only make me stronger in this pursuit.  I'm already finding myself reaching for the veg more than the cheese, so emotionally I think I'm doing the right thing to prepare myself.

To put it in the words of one very wise BFF: "You are a horrible vegan."  Yes, I am.  I've hopped on and off the vegan wagon so many times my grass sucking hippie friends (hi LL *waves*) probably don't believe I'll last a week on an entirely plant based diet.  But I want to be a grass sucking hippie so bad.  I hate how lethargic and awful I feel after eating even the smallest portion of chicken, cheese, whatever... but for some reason I keep going back to the teat of the mammals.

The routine of intentionally phasing foods out of the house has been therapeutic.  It has helped me become more creative in the kitchen as well as conscious of how much better I feel after vegan meals vs. non-veg meals.  This method has basically helped me reinforce my belief that this is the right choice for me and only strengthens my convictions.

Tomorrow I start running with more regularity.  I already picked out my outfit, conjured up a new play list, and found my lucky socks.  My calendar on my phone has been updated with the next 13 weeks of scheduled runs/workouts.  I also blocked off time for myself on my work calendar to ensure I can do self-care throughout the day, even if in 15 minute blocks.  A 15 minute a day tabata workout is way better than sitting there letting my posterior widen.

The pursuit of "learning" has thus far been the easiest.  I have picked up a book every day in addition to spending time doing actual research online on random topics.  This morning I downloaded an app that will help me be a little more organized in my bird watching (bird nerds unite!).

So, the whole point of this post was to contemplate ways to promote momentum towards these three simple life changes becoming a daily fact.  I am incredibly driven by waving shiney objects and/or proverbial "carrots" in front of my face.  With that in mind, I bought myself a "commitment present"that I have been lusting over since checking it out at the library:  Vegan Eats World by Terry Hope Romero.  She is also one of the masterminds behind the coveted Veganomicon cook book.  I love this book so much and have already learned so much about making delicious vegan wares.  I cannot wait to conjure up my own batch of kim chi as soon as I locate the spices Ms. Romero prescribes.  All in all, best commitment present ever.

On January 31, 2013 I will ask myself these questions:

  1. Have you been a dutiful vegan this entire month?
  2. Have you logged at least 60 miles walking and 60 miles running this month?
  3. Did you post at least 20 blog entries this month?
...then I will sit down and write an old school paper (circa 1996 Mr. Roberts Research Writing style) about something I learned that month.  If I successfully can answer to the affirmative on all three questions and feel like I did my best to enhance my mind, I will treat myself to this very special running top:



This awesome mp3-friendly long tank is offered by Gracie's Gear.  She is an incredible, inspirational coach and entrepreneur and I would be tickled to finally don something she designed out on the trails here in Austin, TX.

Monthly I will conjure up a new set of questions/criteria for gifting something new to myself.  If successful, I will allow myself one of the following:


  1. Aqua Jogger Belt and Floatation Sandals
  2. LifeFactory Water Bottle
  3. A new bike seat that is a little more ergo, like this
  4. Punching Bag (I haven't really researched brands, but I want one!)
  5. Membership with one of the local farm CSA's
  6. New pair of blue tooth headphones - I haven't had the best of luck in this arena.  I have tried 3 different models and all failed within a month of purchase.  The first pair, died in 3 days.  
  7. A new bathing suit - something cute with whimsy like this -->
  8. A culinary-driven camping trip. When The Husband and I first started dating, he took me camping for my birthday.  Some of the best meals I made for him came out of that campfire :-).
  9. A weight set for home.  I've always had a certain stigma about weight training in public.  I should start picking sh*t up in the privacy of my own home.
  10. A trip somewhere completely unnecessary.
  11. Enlist in a formal running training group like Tough Cookies.

Ok, I have my carrot in sight.  Time to get real ;-).  Much Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment