Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Magical Bento Salad!

I love creative, compact ways of transporting fresh, healthy foods.  This little bento from Itzy Ritzy is not only cute, but incredibly practical for the hungry herbivore...



First, I chopped up 1/2 of a large (8") cucumber and put in the largest reservoir.  I poured on my choice of dressing (this time I used some sesame ginger leftover from yesterday's beet-pocalypse).  Usually I'll put my red onions in this reservoir as well, however, I knew I would have meetings all afternoon and didn't want to rock the onion stank.  Marinated cucumbers are one of my favorite additions to salads and this box is perfect for making sure the dressing doesn't leak into other reservoirs that may contain more fragile elements that don't hold up well to dressing.

I used the other two reservoirs in the bottom level to measure out a bunch of alfalfa sprouts, quinoa, and tofu.  At that point, I figured my salad could use a little color, so I quickly chopped up 1 carrot to toss on top of my veggies!

Please note:  You will fit way more tofu in the box if you cut a pre-measured chunk that fits in the box then chop it up after.


The upper deck of the bento is perfect for mixed greens and raw nuts.  Today I put in a fistful of organic, locally sourced spinach with some nori shreds and 1oz raw almonds.  MMM.  This is going to be great with the sesame ginger dressing!


Mmm... you know you want me...

The end result was a massive, filling, nutrient dense meal that appeared to be 3x the size of my compact little bento.  It's like the clown car of lunchboxes!


My only regret is that I did not season the tofu or quinoa.  It really made the salad quite bland despite the 1T of sesame ginger that spent all morning collaborating with my delectable cucumbers.  I think next time I'll have to put more love into the protein pit of my bento!

This meal is roughly 400 calories, 22 carbs, 29g fat, 24g protein per MyFitnessPal.

No comments:

Post a Comment