Sunday, January 27, 2013

Kim Chi Time!!

I have been itching to try to make my own kimchi for about a month.  It really amazed me how hard it was to find Korean pepper, gochugaru, in South Austin.  When finally presented the opportunity (excuse) to go to North Austin, I jumped at the chance to check out a proper Korean market.

I knew I was in the right place when instantly greeted with more napa cabbage than I've ever seen in one room.  It was kind of hard to not be immersed with authenticity with the quintessential Korean grandmother scolding her unruly brood of grandkids with only "that look."  Seriously, home girl meant business.  Even I felt ashamed for some reason.

Whilst perusing the aisles, I was suddenly overwhelmed with options.  What?  An ENTIRE LANE just for SEAWEED?!?  Pretty sure I squeed so loud I put kids in a candy shop to shame.  I picked up all kinds of vegan goodness on my way to the spice aisle:  Shirataki noodles, inari pockets, fancy nut oils, dried seaweed and kelp.  I got these cool little wonton wrapper things that I'm  not really sure what I'm going to do with.  Then finally, FINALLY... my precious.  GOCHUGARU!!!!

This magic spice is sold both in a pre-mixed paste and in dried "only pepper" form.  I opted to get the pepper flakes as to avoid all the unnecessary preservatives in the pre-made goo.  It's also 1/4 of the price and super easy to make your own paste anyways.

Here's how it all came together...

Ingredients:
1 head Napa Cabbage (2-2.5 pounds)
1/2 cup Salt (I used sea salt)
1/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
10 medium cloves of garlic
1/8 cup roasted sesame seeds
1/2 cup Gochugaru
1T Local Raw Honey

Wash, trim, then halve the cabbage.  Cut out core.  Slice the half into 3 lengthwise sections then coarsely chop into 1.5ish" strips.  Salt thoroughly, rubbing salt into each leaf.  Let sit, covered for 2 hours (or however many episodes of Supernatural that was).

Rinse cabbage thoroughly, allow to strain while preparing the paste.  Chuck the vinegar, garlic, sesame seeds, gochugaru peppers, and honey into the food processor, mix until paste-like.  Use hands to coatall of the cabbage with the spicy paste in a large bowl.

Transfer the cabbagy goodness to a large resealable jar or a gallon sized freezer bag.  Really pack it in there, trying to get all air pockets out.  Let sit on counter for 5 hours then transfer to the refrigerator.  Apparently this stuff keeps for about 3 weeks in the fridge!  Not that I think it will last that long... look how pretty it is...



I even treated myself to a new bowl to enjoy kim chi goodness in!  I love pandas!


Alright, time to get back to work :-(...  Laters xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment