Sunday, July 7, 2013

The "Taste not Waste" Guide to Veggie Lovin'

I have to admit, I'm a total produce whore. There is nothing better than a fresh clump of tomatoes, bell peppers, and berries to help boost a meal!

After many failed attempts to eat all the things before a science experiment erupts, I finally found advice that is actually effective!  Behold:  The Mighty Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse!!!!


 
 
 
All you have to do is fill a big bowl with cold water, splash a few tablespoons ACV into the bowl, then let produce soak 15-30 minutes stirring/flipping occasionally to ensure optimal ick-removal.
 
Does it work?  Well, let's just say I've never had a clamshell of blueberries last in the fridge longer than a few days after purchase.  After doing my ACV rinse, I was still snacking on these babies well over a week later.  A few of these tomatoes are still red and firm on the vine in our garden window 10 days later.  Green bell peppers don't have a shelf life in this house, we are total addicts and devour them instantly.  But this wash took off all of the waxy residue without scrubbing or soap! 
 
I am so in love with creating light and refreshing refrigerator pickles like my signature kim chi.  It has increased my ability to "waste not" just having the option of throwing random veg in vinegar and spices and hoping for pickled goodness later!
 
 
 
 
Now that I have sufficiently made myself hungry, it's totally nosh time!  Later!
 
-Che Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment